Is Asparagus Poisonous?

Although asparagus is considered to be a poisonous plant, it is only the red berries on the leaves that are actually of any danger if ingested. The berries on these plants contain spirostanol and furostanol glycosides which can be dangerous if they are consumed. Those who eat anywhere from five to seven or more berries from an asparagus plant have been known to experience symptoms such as bloating, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Those who come into contact with this plant might also have an allergic reaction which can cause a number of symptoms including inflammation of the skin as well as allergic rhinitis. It is highly recommended that you take care to stay away from the red berries which grow on asparagus plants because of the fact that they are considered to be poisonous for both humans and animals.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *